Wednesday, March 28, 2007

 

Looking at Pumps

We all know that feeling of looking at technology, like a TV, DVD, Computer or Cellphone and having a whole lot of technical terms being thrown at us - it is difficult at the best of time.

That is what I am going through, except it is not something as simple as a consumer item - but the device that is responsible for keeping my son safe - we are looking at insulin pumps.

I am currently reading through all the brochures and talking to the reps about what pump to buy - but it is hard, really hard.
There is a lot technical terms that I am coming to grips with, each of the pumps push their own 'features' and it's hard to know what is important, the internet is filled with both good and bad stories about the support people are getting from their reps and in this day of informed consent no-one really wants to give a recommendation.

Our diabetes team is really good, and our dietitian, sensibly, said 'They are all very good pumps, any of which will make a huge difference to your life' - which has taken the pressure off a little.

But this is still difficult, in New Zealand pumps are not covered by insurance - so the money comes out of our pocket and once the decision is made we are stuck with that pump for the next 4 years.

On top of all of this, the thought of weighing all the meals and doing boluses for every meal is scary too.

Wish me luck and any stories - good or bad - about your pump would be appreciated.

Comments:
Riley is on the Animas. I like it just fine. My favorite pump was the Cozmo. I liked it's features better. But, Riley started pumping when he was 3 and he was on such tiny doses of insulin. Animas has the smallest basal rates of any pump, so that's why we chose it. And, I'm glad we did. Those tiny basals have come in very handy at times.

Best of luck to you in choosing a pump!
 
Thanks Penny. We have received all the material and but not yet seen the pumps. I was feeling exactly the same way, prefering the Cozmo based on features, but I think we may need the Animas low basal.
Cade is still only having 12 - 15 units a day.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?