Saturday, March 24, 2007
Going to School
I just read Penny's post on sending her son to school for the first time. Well my boy turns 5 in a couple of months, so we will be doing the same.
It's weird because I know that sending your first child to school is supposed to give you mixed feelings - excitement that they are starting a phase in their life, and fear that they won't get on with the children, they will have trouble adjusting, they will not like it.
I have spoken to other friends of mine who have felt exactly that way.
But having a child with diabetes just makes it so much worse, currently it scares me half to death. We are on the waiting list for a pump and hoping to get one before he started school - but that is looking less and less likely.
Auckland, which is the city we live in, has an exceptionally good paediatrics diabetes team - so they will provide all the training and things like that to school.
But I am still scared. I wonder how parents managed child with diabetes 30 years ago, before the invention of the cell phone?
It's weird because I know that sending your first child to school is supposed to give you mixed feelings - excitement that they are starting a phase in their life, and fear that they won't get on with the children, they will have trouble adjusting, they will not like it.
I have spoken to other friends of mine who have felt exactly that way.
But having a child with diabetes just makes it so much worse, currently it scares me half to death. We are on the waiting list for a pump and hoping to get one before he started school - but that is looking less and less likely.
Auckland, which is the city we live in, has an exceptionally good paediatrics diabetes team - so they will provide all the training and things like that to school.
But I am still scared. I wonder how parents managed child with diabetes 30 years ago, before the invention of the cell phone?
Comments:
<< Home
Chris,
I have two kids. I sent the first one to school 12 years ago, and I didn't shed one tear. It was more excitement than anything.
But with Riley, I'm sure there will be tears, not just the first day, but also the first few weeks. It's so hard to let your child go. But, even harder when that child has a chronic disease that you've been handling and now you have to turn all that over to someone else.
And, on another note, it's nice to see you writing again.
Post a Comment
I have two kids. I sent the first one to school 12 years ago, and I didn't shed one tear. It was more excitement than anything.
But with Riley, I'm sure there will be tears, not just the first day, but also the first few weeks. It's so hard to let your child go. But, even harder when that child has a chronic disease that you've been handling and now you have to turn all that over to someone else.
And, on another note, it's nice to see you writing again.
<< Home
