Saturday, March 24, 2007

 

4 1/2 thoughts on diabetes

We have been talking with Cade and trying to get him to tell people what he needs if he is low. Cade wears a medic alert bracelet and we had this conversation after his bath tonight.

Me: Cade why do you wear that bracelet?
Cade: Because I have diabetes.
Me: What is diabetes?
Cade: It means I have an insulin injection in my tummy and a blood checks on my finger.

Got to love a 4 1/2 year's old definition of diabetes, but the nice thing about this is that he does not feel it's a burden - to him it is just 'normal', which is great. I really want all my children to have a 'normal' life - and I especially want Cade to be as normal as possible while keeping good control on his diabetes. (Sounds crazy I know - but we can only dream)

Comments:
Chris,

A normal life for Cade is very possible. As I've posted before, it will be his kind of normal. We all live life as our kind of normal. It won't be any different for him.
 
Hi Chris. Just discovered your blog. I am also a "diabetes dad" with a son about the same age as Cade. My son Charlie has defined diabetes in very similar fashion.

Charlie was diagnosed a few months before his 2nd birthday. He's been on a pump for about 6 months. I think the little guys just want to do what comes naturally - be kids. We can try to do our best to make that happen.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?