Thursday, March 09, 2006
Off to the clinic tomorrow
Today was a pretty good day. I spoke to the Dr. on the phone on Monday night about his high levels (15.0 - 18.0) in the morning. We adjusted his long acting dose on Tuesday morning, but it did not seem to take affect. But when I spoke to daycare today, finally he had a decent mid-morning level of 10.2 - hooray, something is finally going right. And then of course his afternoon was 3.7, OK so not as right as I hoped - but at least he spent most of the day in his target range.
I'm still new at this and we have not finished our education yet - so we have fixed doses morning and night. I'm trying my best to give Cade consistent meals and eat it all, but even so his sugars are all over the place, it's already getting frustrating and when he is running 14 - 18 very upsetting also.
And the good news is I think I've figured out what to do when his nighttime is low - in the past I've tended to give him too much snack and I find out around 11pm that he is on the ceiling. Last night though, limit snack (2 biscuits - not ideal bedtime food, but what can you do) and his standard snack of a bottle. And the night time readings two of them were all good 7.0 - 9.0, so happy. I'm sure it won't work everytime, but at least I finally managed to do something to correct a bad level.
Tonight my mum was over for dinner, she wants to have Cade to stay the night, but I'm having a tough time getting her to do the injections. I currently just offer when ever she is around and it's time for his injection, and I know she wants to help and be able to have him stay over, but she is still not ready. Tonight we practiced on a banana and I gave her a needle to pratice at home with - so we will see how that goes.
Tomorrow I get to feel like a real diabetic dad. We have our first, of many, 3 monthly appointment. When we left the hospital, 6 weeks ago, they did explain that we would need to go to the doctor every 3 months, but didn't really provide any details. I'm assuming he will get an HbA1c, but I'm not really sure what the rest of the 90 minutes will be used for.
Right now he's being a typical 3 year old and complaining about being in bed. (it's taken 45 minutes for this post).
I'm still new at this and we have not finished our education yet - so we have fixed doses morning and night. I'm trying my best to give Cade consistent meals and eat it all, but even so his sugars are all over the place, it's already getting frustrating and when he is running 14 - 18 very upsetting also.
And the good news is I think I've figured out what to do when his nighttime is low - in the past I've tended to give him too much snack and I find out around 11pm that he is on the ceiling. Last night though, limit snack (2 biscuits - not ideal bedtime food, but what can you do) and his standard snack of a bottle. And the night time readings two of them were all good 7.0 - 9.0, so happy. I'm sure it won't work everytime, but at least I finally managed to do something to correct a bad level.
Tonight my mum was over for dinner, she wants to have Cade to stay the night, but I'm having a tough time getting her to do the injections. I currently just offer when ever she is around and it's time for his injection, and I know she wants to help and be able to have him stay over, but she is still not ready. Tonight we practiced on a banana and I gave her a needle to pratice at home with - so we will see how that goes.
Tomorrow I get to feel like a real diabetic dad. We have our first, of many, 3 monthly appointment. When we left the hospital, 6 weeks ago, they did explain that we would need to go to the doctor every 3 months, but didn't really provide any details. I'm assuming he will get an HbA1c, but I'm not really sure what the rest of the 90 minutes will be used for.
Right now he's being a typical 3 year old and complaining about being in bed. (it's taken 45 minutes for this post).