Friday, March 10, 2006

 

Day at the clinic

Well today was our first clinic meeting. It really was not the best of days, first off I knew I had a pile of work to get to - and that was in the back of my mind most of the morning. The appointment was at 9am, not problem to get to right?, well actually....
We finally get out the door and I'm mentally checking I've got everything, the orders forms for replacement insulin, the details of the meeting, the log book, the list goes on. I'm just thinking about Cades levels this morning, kinda low at 4.5 and I realized I'd completely forgotten to give his insulin. Unbelievable, I've been at this for 6 weeks now and never even come close to forgetting and here I am heading off to his first clinic appointment and I've managed to forget, completely.
So head back home, now 20 minutes late and head off again.
The clinic appointment ended up being pretty low key, HbA1c test, new prescription for insulin, needles and test strips and 60 minutes with the diabetes educator just discussing how things were going. They reviewed the log book and gave me a bunch more handouts, she also reminded me to test Cade ketones when he goes above 15 (I'd completely forgotton about that). Cade has had a sick day already and I did test his ketones then.
Quick meeting with the endo., then out of there. They did tell me that they tend to schedule the appointments for the under 5s around the same time - so hopefully next time we'll be able to meet some people with the same challenges I'm experiencing (and ideally with some advice too).

They also recommended a slight change in his dosing, saying that if his dinner levels are 12.0 then to give zero short acting (Cade is only taking 3 units of long acting a day right now).
I tried that this evening, then tested him around bed time and got a reading of 16 - bad. So I'm not sure about that advice, although he did have a big dinner - I just hate him being that high, because right now there is nothing I can do - short of making his snack a lot lower in carbs.
But I did test his ketones, pretty sure it would not be a problem, but I figured I get in the habit. Funnily enough this is easer, about 10 months Cade decided he like to pee at bathtime, but he also decided that he did not like peeing in the actual bath. So he's been peeing in a cup most nights for months now, I know it sounds a little gross - but we just used to flush it down the toliet and wash the cup.
Needless to say, this 'habit' makes it a lot easier to get the ketones tested.

It's 10:30pm, so I'm off to make sure his sugars have come down.


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?